Friday, May 04, 2007

Yates back for Potter 6

From darkhorizons, David Yates, director of the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," confirmed to Sci-Fi Wire that he will return to the director's chair for "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," the sixth film in the blockbuster franchise.

Yates is best known for his work on the acclaimed U.K. miniseries "State of Play" (about to be remade as a Brad Pitt movie) and TV movie "The Girl in the Cafe".

He is currently completing 'Phoenix', based on J.K. Rowling's fifth Potter book, and had been rumored to be attached to 'Prince' which is already in pre-production. "I am doing Half-Blood Prince, and I'm doing it because I love the world, I love the characters, I think I have more business with this world and these characters" said Yates.

So why do it? "I've made a kind of tonal shift with the fifth film, which I want to continue and develop into the sixth film, and I can see the fifth story evolving into the sixth story in a really interesting way. So I'm on a journey with this material and this world, and I'm keen to complete it."

Yates would become only the second director to helm more than one Potter film, after Chris Columbus, who directed the first two.

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

That's great news! Unless Phoenix sucks. Then it's lame news.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...