Monday, October 27, 2008

The Orphanage



The Orphanage (2007) ****(as a movie in general)
***(for Horrorthon)


*Sigh* I have been sitting on this review since Saturday night. It appears as if this movie reveals, once again, my horrible taste. I am running up the "down" escalator here. You should probably listen to everyone else's great reviews of this one.

As has been described in the other reviews, the story revolves around a woman who moves into, with her husband and adopted child, the large old house that was once the orphanage she lived in as a child. I would recommend trying to avoid reading much more about the synopsis of this film, the way it unwinds in front of you is one of its great pleasures.

I agree with everyone else in terms of the "parts" of this film. The cinematography is fantastic, the acting is superb, and the script plays out with a reality that you rarely see in any movie, let alone a horror flick. Belén Rueda is wonderful as the main character. Landshark is spot on. She is beautiful and hard to take your eyes off, but you get the feeling she would never make it in Hollywood, she looks too much like an actual women.

All right Miko, so you loved the movie. What gives with the scores, dude?

I think The Orphanage is one of the better movies I've seen in a while. Not Horror movie, movie period. Thus, the four stars just as a movie. Not five, it wasn't the Godfather or anything, but it is squarely on the next tier down.

Now...three stars as a horror film. It just wasn't that scary. It DID have a sense of tension throughout, it did have creepy moments. It just didn't ever rise to the point of truly scary.

I DO agree that you should see this movie. It was wonderful, just not wonderfully frightening.

(Let the abuse commence.)

21 comments:

JPX said...

Why you sonofabitch! Actually, JSP discussed with me having a similar reaction, stay tuned for his review. I'm glad you dug it overall.

I might have been a bit too generous with my rating but the yardstick that I'm measuring it against is all the films we have on the Monster List. It's just so rare that an effective horror flick is made, so when a good one comes out it really shines.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'll save my thoughts on the movie for my review but I've just gotta say Miko that it's nice to have you shaking things up around here!

Landshark said...

Fuck you!

Landshark said...

Abuse like that?

Trevor said...

This movie was scary. Maybe if you had spent more time watching the film instead of using google images to find photos of the main character, you would have found it more scary!

Charlatan!

JPX said...

I was going to mention that you get extra points for finding a picture others hadn't already used! Good luck, JSP.

Whirlygirl said...

Miko, you are such a trouble maker.

JPX, you're a traitor.

My five star rating stands. For me, this movie induced chills, I liked the story, I cared about the characters, and the cinematography speaks for itself.

Most importantly there is a theme present in this movie that interests me. It’s also in Pans Labyrinth, but it goes in a different direction here. This is a film that I could go back to again and again to dissect and maybe write something on.

Catfreeek said...

I'm with you Whirly, 5 stars. It was very creepy and the story was really good. It didn't cheese out with an ending that was just a sequel set up like way too many horror films do either.

Bad Miko! Go sit in the corner!

miko564 said...

Ahh, to be the center of dissent feels so much like home for me.

Yes, Landshark, like that...

Whirly/JSP, this time I actually meant the opposing view, instead of presenting it just to be contrarian.

JPX, I hate to admit it, but I actually looked for one that hadn't been used.

Trevor, but she is so much fun to look at...oh, and I am always the voice of terrible taste on here.

miko564 said...

Cat, I'm already in the corner. If I sit there with the tin-foil hat on my head, the government can't hear my thoughts...

Catfreeek said...

Don't be so sure about that Miko ;P

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I don't toss around ***** casually like the rest of you clowns. My feeling is that you should watch the movie at least twice, maybe 3 times before declaring it a masterpiece...

DKC said...

Wow! Look at all this. Hate and discontent everywhere!

Kidding, kidding. I'm sticking with my rating too. JSP is clearly of a higher mind then me as far as ratings, but that's okay. I can handle it *sniff*

Way to put it out there, Miko! Jerk!

Catfreeek said...

JSP is just pissed that no one was darning a Satanic robe in this film.

AC said...

miko, you are the first to support your blogmates whenever we voice "unpopular" or dissenting opinions, so i am happy to say that i too would always rather read someone's honest opinion of a movie (or anything else) whether i agree with him/her or not. plus look at all the comments your post generated. good stuff.

miko for president!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

My initial reaction was that it did a great job borrowing from the best but didn't add too much new. To tell you the truth I'm gonna give it another viewing because I watched it with a group of people and one guy wouldn't shut up. Nothing grinds my gears more than an annoying blabbermouth who doesn't know when to keep his fat trap shut. If you catch me running off the handle give me a swift poke in the chops.

miko564 said...

Thank you AC, but I stand by my first reaction, I wouldn't pass the first round of the vetting process.

Also, while I love stirring things up, I didn't really disagree with everyone. I DID think this was a great movie. Hell, I even threw Landshark a very British "Spot On"! (Of course, that was prior to his, oh so offensive, comment.

AC said...

miko for president of horrorthon!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You're right AC, Miko would make a a good politician. Notice they way he's quietly backpedaling?

miko564 said...

Backpedal my ass!

"I DO agree that you should see this movie. It was wonderful, just not wonderfully frightening." My original words.

I stand by my original review my friends, I am not backpedaling, I am simply restating my original premise. I will not be intimidated, my friends, nor will I sink to the lows others have so happily embraced. My friends, I will run a clean, honorable comment session.

BTW: It is unconfirmed, but apparently both JSP and Landshark have trained with Al Qaeda in Pakistan. I know for a fact that JSP likes to kick puppies and has beaten every girlfriend he has every had...

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Hahaha! I just laughed out loud at work Miko and people looked at me as if to say "what the hell is so funny?"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...