Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Return to Horror High


(1987) *1/2
It is the late 1980s (yeah, again). A film crew goes to the now-deserted Crippen High School, the scene of mass murders years prior. The killer was never caught. The producer wants to make a profitable, salacious slasher; the director has a higher vision; the hapless writer is caught in the middle. Before long, however, cast and crew members are disappearing one by one. Has the previous killer returned, or is this a new menace?
RtHH is certainly a very bad movie but not, sadly for me, a true bomb, which is what I was craving tonight. It is confusing, stupid, badly acted, and badly conceived; but there are also some twists (even though they don't make much sense) and a few scary-ish and suspenseful-ish scenes. There is blood. There are severed limbs. There are attempts at humor. Hey, there's even an exploding boob! That has to count for something.
My favorite part of the movie is when the police officer on the set (who is also acting the part of the police officer in the movie) advises the female-at-risk not to call the police, because then the serial killer who is stalking them might get away. Better still? Female-at-risk buys it, and the two of them traipse off to catch the killer. For me, that type of detail falls squarely into so-bad-it's-good territory. To be honest, I can see myself returning to RtHH. Just not any time soon.

4 comments:

miko564 said...

As my 20th reunion approaches, this title speaks volumes to me...

AC, I hate that too. If you know that you are making a movie that sucks, let it suck! Embrace the terrible and try for so-bad-it's-good. There is no way anyone involved in these crapfests believe they are making a good movie...why try to keep the train on the tracks?

miko564 said...

Oh, just so you know...I will NOT be returning to Horror High.

Octopunk said...

I recall exactly two things I liked about this movie:

1) It only takes one clue for the sleuth characters in it to speculate the original killer might be back.

2) It's a cheap horror movie production, so as people disappear it's assumed they just quit and left AND there's a lot of fake blood everywhere so the real stuff isn't noticed.

Otherwise, it's the kind of suckfest where you're better off watching pretty much anything else. Brave work as always, AC.

JPX said...

Yeah, I reviewed this a few years ago and still maintain that it's one of the worst films I've ever seen. I mean, Marcia should've at least shown her boobs.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...