89-year-old comedian Don Rickles confirmed the news to Closer Weekly:
“They just signed me to do the fourth Toy Story. We start [work on it] in September, and I’m very delighted with that. … “When John [Lasseter] approached me for the first one, I said, ‘I don’t do comedy with cartoons, dummies and toys. Leave me alone.’ And [John] said, ‘No, you’re gonna love this!’ Then he told me the money and how nice it was going to be and, I said, ‘Yeah, I can give it a try.’ All of a sudden it’s going on 17 years.”
Rickles’ returning for Toy Story 4 shouldn’t come as a big surprise. A fourth Toy Story film has been rumored to be in the works for the last five years now. Last year Toy Story 4 was officially announced as it was revealed that John Lasseter would return to direct a screenplay written by Rashida Jones and Will McCormack based on a story dreamed up by the Pixar dream team of Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter and Lee Unkrich. Lasseter has insisted thatthe sequel is not about money, but they came up with a great story idea worth exploring.
We still have no idea what the story will be about (but that didn’t stop us all from taking some guesses), but it is expected to reunite Woody, Buzz and the whole gang in an all new adventure. Pixar animation studio president Jim Morris has said that the new film will not be a continuation of the story of Toy Story 3, offering only some vague hints about the film’s plot:
It is not a continuation of the end of the story of Toy Story 3. Temporarily it is, but it will be a love story. It will be a romantic comedy. It will not put much focus on the interaction between the characters and children. I think it will be a very good movie.
Toy Story 4, which will hit theaters on June 16, 2017, will be co-directed by Josh Cooley, the head of story on Inside Out.