Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Johnny Sweatpants' 2012 Wrap Up

This was my 2nd attempt at pumpkin carving. I chose one of those weird looking pumpkins in an attempt to depict an awkward looking pimply faced teenager. I learned that that these kinds of pumpkins are extremely difficult to carve. 



I had soup bowls of fun this October thanks to the recommendations from my fellow 'Thonners. Here's my wrap-up: 

Worst MovieThe Sinful Dwarf. I honestly wish I never watched this one. On the plus side there is an amusing bonus feature on the DVD where a grown man describes how The Sinful Dwarf ruined his life and he pleads with the viewer not to watch it. 

Best Hidden Gem MovieTargets. I stand in awe at the way Peter Bogdanavich concocted such an enthralling movie with the limitations he had to work with. Every time I think about this movie I feel an overwhelming urge to watch it again.

Most Avoidable Death: Antonio in At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul. Coffin Joe is pure evil personified. His "friend" Antonio should have kept a safe distance. 

Best Looking Monster: Mr. Boogie in Sinister The movie hardly blew me away but the images of Mr. Boogie in the background were delightfully spooky.

Best So Bad It's Good MovieKiss Meets the Phantom of the Park. Honestly, whether or not you're a Kiss fan this movie is worth seeking out. It's so very, very bad... but good! Paul Stanley is simply a HORRIBLE, self conscious actor. Everything that comes out of Ace Frehley's mouth is pure comedy. The plot is utterly ridiculous, the writing is inane and the action sequences are wholly laughable. It is a bonafide train wreck that nearly destroyed what little street cred the band had in 1978. I have watched it annually since the early 90's and I always find something new to laugh at.

Most Disturbing MovieThe Poughkeepsie Tapes. *shudder* Just thinking about it brings me to a bad place.

Most Memorable Death: Nothing can prepare you for the bizarre worm sex death of Taaffe O'Connell in Galaxy of Terror

Hottest Hottie: Taffe O'Connell in Galaxy of Terror.

Scariest MovieKidnapped was so intense and well crafted it kept me on the edge of my seat for 2 hours. I cared about the characters and felt constant fear for their wellbeing. 

All-Around Favorite Movie: I probably watched more quality horror movies in 2012 than every other year combined. Though I absolutely loved Kidnapped, Severance, Targets, Race With the Devil, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, and Santa Sangre, my heart belongs to Rabies

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Excellent wrap up glad to see Coffin Joe and
Santa Sangre made honorable mention. Next year I'll be pressuring you to watch The Last Circus, Sheitan and Sauna.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cat - I'm a believer and I vow to watch all three of those movies next year. Your recommendations yielded the greatness of Coffin Joe, Santa Sangre, The Woman, Poughkeepsie Tapes and Fausto 5.0. I can't give you enough thanks.

This year I also enjoyed recommendations from other 'Thonners including Ginger Snaps, The Caller, Galaxy of Terror and Severance.

JPX said...

I love the pimply-faced pumpkin! He looks sad that he has such a poor complexion. Great wrap up! It looks like you stuck with quality over quantity this year, which is an approach I whole-heartedly agree with. As the years go by I find myself less and less tolerant of bad horror and I often abort a movie after 5 minutes when I get the “bad horror” vibe. I’ve been annoyingly busy but I intend to get to my wrap-up soon.

Crystal Math said...

Great wrap up! It was a tough call for me between Rabies, Poughkeepsie Tapes and Targets but in the end I had to go with Karloff because it's a movie I could watch with anyone, anytime and have many engaging conversations about it.

Octopunk said...

Right on! It's all great, and I'm particularly delighted with your coverage of The Sinful Dwarf, Targets and Kiss Meets the Phantom. And yay for watching Galaxy of Terror; it is amongst my favorite cheeses.

Somehow I'm not surprised that gourd-like pumpkin was a bitch to hack! Did you use a pumpkin-carving kit? They're cheap little seasonal items and they're very smart; the blades are quite thin and heavily serrated. I don't know if that would've helped with ol pimple face, though.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The problem with the pumpkin was that the skin was super thick. I do have one of those cheapy pumpkin carving kits but I could use a better one.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...