Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"Saw" Scribes Pen "Halloween" Recalibration


From cinemablend, Dimension Films has brought on frequent "Saw" series scribes Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to pen a new chapter in the "Halloween" franchise according to Heat Vision.

What's interesting here is that the project is being called a "re-calibration" and is decidedly NOT a reboot, remake or re-imagining. This likely means something akin to 2005's "Doctor Who" reboot - a refresh/revival of the franchise, but one that keeps the previous continuity intact.

This would match reports from last year that the new film will follow the same continuity from Rob Zombie's two "Halloween" films but Zombie himself is not directing.

No director is attached at this time, and no details were given for the new story beyond it still likely following white-masked serial killer Michael Myers. Matt Stein and Malek Akkad are producing.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Ehhhhhh...

(I'm trying to sound like Tina from Bob's Burgers.)

I dunno, whatever. I'm not excited to see an extension of the Rob Zombie version because I really disliked it, but I don't really want to see this story restarted, either. Maybe someone should do a shot-for-shot new version like Psycho, because that worked out so well. (I'm being sarcastic, obviously, but that really would be the Halloween flick I'd most want to see.

I always get suspicious when filmmakers are all "Oh, it's not a reboot! It's not a remake! It's this NEW thing! Yeah!"

JPX said...

I agree with all your points. I actually don't believe that it can be "remade, rebooted, etc." The reason Halloween is so effective is because it was filmed and set in the 1970s. Today if Michael Myers was chasing you, you would be calling everyone you know on your cell phone. Come to think of it, most horror movies would be resolved with cell phones. "Help, I'm being chased by a man wearing a mask of flesh and swinging a chainsaw!"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...