Thursday, October 05, 2017

Happy Hunting

(2017)***1/2

A badass alcoholic drifter stumbles into a weird remote dessert town while on the run from murderous colleagues. He finds himself smack in the middle of their annual hunting festival where, I know you saw this coming, he is one of the prey. The victims are released in the salt flats while a band of hunters vie for the honor of top hunter. 

As man hunt films go this one is pretty top notch. It has all the elements that make for an entertaining 90 minutes. Our guy is a resourceful dude with MacGyver like skills but the catch is he's detoxing cold turkey so he's not so right on his game. The townsfolk are not over the top hillbilly but each brings their own unique character into the game. Their are definite shades of light humor but more for entertainment value and certainly not near enough to make the film campy. The setting is tense as the open salt flats leave very little place for a person to hide. 

On a side note:
Horrorthon is something I look forward to every year. In some past years I've had oodles of time on my hands which enabled me in crunching in as many horror flicks as were humanly possible. I believe I still hold the record at 110 film watched & reviewed in a single season back in 2008 (I had no life). As the years have progressed I've become more selective in my film, far less in quantity but far better in quality. I have no plans, no themes this year and hope to put my best foot forward in adding to the monster list. Glad to see reviews popping up, let's make it a good year!
Horrorthon!

3 comments:

Abduscias said...

Yay, Catfreek! This movie sounds interesting. Tonight I rewatch the last half of Dark Song, I heard was good. If I can only stop nodding off! Dammit!

Trevor said...

Yay Catfreek!

Hadn't seen anything from you yet - was getting a little concerned. Thanks for posting.

Clipping Path said...

Thanks for sharing such an awesome article :)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...