Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Summerisle's Summary


1) Favorite: It's a complete tossup between Audition and High Tension. If forced to choose I'd go with High Tension right now but this is subject to change. (I didn't include Wicker Man which would win every year)
2) Hidden Gem: It's depressing because last year overflowed with these - Bucket of Blood, Sadist, Zombi 2, She Demons, and others I'm forgetting. This year was much more disappointing in that respect but I think this one goes to the unique Shallow Ground. Terror Train was also a surprise hit.
3) Most Disturbing: That would be Audition.
4) Scream Queen: Asia Argento for Land of the Dead and Stendhal Syndrome.
5) Worst: While Zombie 3, 4 & 5 all made me consider throwing my DVD player out of the window, Curse of the Werewolf earns this prize for being even more boring than my job. Evilspeak, you sucked a lot too.
6) So Bad It's Good: Night of the Comet because of it's unapologetic 80's stupidity.
7) Goriest: Day of the Dead followed closely by City of the Living Dead, Land of the Dead and any other of the Dead that I forgot to mention.
8) Memorable Death: The bastard who had it coming in Stendhal Syndrome.
9) Best Looking Monster: Those damn Mushroom People really opened my eyes man, to a world beyond time and space, a place where the rainbows ride horses.
10) Scariest: The High Tension slovenly soulless butcher really got to me.
11) Best of 2005: Land of the Dead because it was better than it had any right to be.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I came close to naming Land of the Dead as Best of 2005, but I thought that, ounce for ounce, Skeleton Key is your better movie value.

Anonymous said...

Yeah— I just saw "High Tension" and I was really impressed. I'm a little nervous about a second viewing (for various reasons) but I liked the no-jokes, no-bullshit approach, and it was nicely photographed. Naturally I watched the French version.

JPX said...

I actually picked up a copy of High Tension exactly 1 year ago at Boston Megafest (big annual nerd convention). I can't believe how long it takes these films to officially come out. Yeah, the French version is the only way to go on this. The American version is apparently dubbed and edited. We're such a stupid country.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...