Wednesday, November 16, 2005

JPX's Best of Horrorthon 2005


1. Favorite: Audition, hands down. This was one of the only films this year that made my skin crawl (“deeper, deeper, deeper. . .”)
2. Hidden gem: The Ghost Ship. A psychotic ship captain starts murdering his shipmates in this very dark tale. One death in particular is pretty brutal. I’d also have to include Homebodies, I mean when else have we seen murderous elderly people?
3. Most disturbing: No competition here, the final third of Audition disturbed me so much that I can’t look at Asian girls the same way anymore. The only problem is that I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to sit through this film again.
4. Scream queen: Simone Simon from Cat People, attractive yet weird and creepy.
5. Worst: The Embalmer, the box cover promised me a scary version of Skeletor and all I got was this lousy tee shirt. Also, the remake of The Fog was dreadful.
6. So bad it’s good: Head of the Family, I mean, he has an enormous head, that’s just so freakin’ funny! It’s just so large, oh God, I have tears in my eyes.
7. Goriest: I’d have to go with Infection on this one. Summerisle wasn’t as taken with the ooze of the infection because it was green, but I was totally disgusted. The sounds alone made me want to hurl.
8. Most memorable death: The first victim in House of Wax meets a terrible end involving a lot of hot wax.
9. Best looking monster: Wow, I didn’t really see a lot of “monster” movies this year. I guess I’ll go with the bloody boy from Shallow Grave.
10. Scariest: Not a lot to choose from this year. Again, the Asians have it with their creepy, longhaired women. I’d go with Premonition or Face.
11. Best Horror Release in 2005: If I was going to go strictly by what I watched during the Horrorthon I’d have to go with House of Wax, although Shallow Ground was good too despite the incoherent final few minutes.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

I have Audition from Netflix and I'm too curious to wait till next year. BUT I do want to review it next year, so I share your worry about watching it more than once.

I'm really psyched to check out Head of the Family.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

So now what the hell are we supposed to do with ourselves?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...