Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Octopunk's Best of Horrorthon 2005


1. Favorite: The Gift. Just a great movie on so many levels.
2. Hidden Gem Award: Alone in the Dark (1982) Pleasance, Palance and Landau acting like total nustos...and Barclay, too!
3. Most Disturbing: Living Hell, to nobody's surprise.
4. Scream Queen: I'm going with Ona Grauer in House of the Dead. Just the right combo of stately and curvy.
5. Worst: Howling VII, without a doubt. There's a scene I didn't mention, which was a montage of the main character getting friendly with his new job and the locals. At one point he and two other guys are sweeping up the bar while wearing inexplicable giant red sombreros. Then, they start doing a little dance together. I would actually eat a live cricket before watching that movie again.
6. So Bad It's Good: The Crawling Hand by a wide margin, although honorable mentions go out to Cheerleader Massacre and Prophecy (not the Walken one, the other one).
7. Goriest: Hellbound, for that scene with the straight razor and the mattress. I didn't do zombies this year, which is definitely the opportunity for ambitious amounts of gore (okay, I saw House of the Dead, but give me a break).
8. Most Memorable Death: Although Cursed is eminently skippable, Shannon Elizabeth trying to crawl away with half her body missing -- that was inspired.
9. Best Looking Monster: Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Freddy Kreuger in the form of a giant worm. Very effective, whether gobbling down Patricia Arquette or giving Nancy the stink-eye. An honorable mention goes to the caged mutations in Die Monster Die!
10. Scariest: Halloween. This may have been the best viewing of this movie I've ever had. I guess I was just in the right mood; I felt every nuance of the suspenceful buildup. When Michael slowly emerged from the shadowy doorway to finally go after Laurie, my blood was chilled to the perfect temperature.
11. Best of 2005: Skeleton Key, which I didn't watch for the 'thon. The only 2005 flicks I watched for the contest were Hide and Seek and Ring Two, neither of which qualify.

9 comments:

JPX said...

Why not put up a series of pix to represent each film?

Octopunk said...

Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you? "Just find ELEVEN pictures, Octopunk."

The thing is, any pictures you apply will stack up at the top of the post; that's why I separated all those Dracula flicks that you originally did as one review.

Also, it's a pain looking for a specific image. I wanted a pic of the Freddy worm but I lost my patience.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Can you do my laundry for me too?

Octopunk said...

Oh, okay. I can't stay mad at you.

Anonymous said...

Don't you other guys have some reviews to write?

Octopunk is already "dancing on the grave" of HIS Horrorthon movies...you should really buckle down now and get the hard work done rather than wasting time goofing off like this.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ouch!

I really just didn't have it in me for the long haul after last year's madness.

Octopunk said...

I can't tell if Jordan is joking or if he really doesn't know his admonition is coming about ten hours too late.

Anonymous said...

I'm just screwing around

JPX said...

Good Lord, I can't believe you guys already posted your superlatives. Nerds! Seriously, I'm working on it, but today is the work day from hell.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...