Friday, November 30, 2007

DCD's Best Of Horrorthon 2007


Wouldn't it be great if Octo could link our reviews to our list of movies watched? I was going back through the month of October to refresh my memory for my Best Of list and man, that is a lot of reviews to search through. Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't done this already, slacker. Just because he's got all this new fun stuff in his life: moving, girlfriend, working, making little Octo's... but I digress. Here we go!

1. Favorite - Ju-on. Even though I didn't rate it as high as previous Thoner's, this movie was everything Horrorthon is about. Creepy, unsettling and scary. On a side note my son gave me the biggest scare a couple of weeks ago that made me think of this flick. He was supposed to be in bed and I was in the kitchen doing the dishes, I thought I heard something, but wasn't sure so didn't turn around. Then I had that back of the neck sensation. I turned around and there is Jake, peering around the doorframe silently staring at me. Then he meowed like a cat!
No, not really. But I literally swallowed a scream as I didn't want him to know how much he FREAKED ME OUT!

2. Hidden Gem - Vacancy. Re-reading my review I remembered how tense and edge of your seat this movie was for me. It was a solid scare-fest that I think may not get considered by many because of it's too "slick" look and well known cast.

3. Most Disturbing - Ju-on. I actually went back and upgraded my rating of this flick because I could not get it out of my head for a couple of days after watching it. The fact that the curse could basically effect the entire world eventually, never mind the creepy ghosts, was intense.

4. Scream Queen - Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby. Nobody does sickly, scared and freaked-out quite like the waifish Miss Farrow. Her emotions are amazingly portrayed. A magnificent performance.
Runner-Up - Shauna Macdonald in The Descent. That scene in the "bone room" earns her bragging rights at the very least.

Scream Stud - My main man of Horrorthon - John Cusack! He gets mad props for carrying 1408, and also for the excellent Identity.

5. Worst - I'm going with The Messengers on this one. The preview to this flick made it look really good and scary and pretty much nothing was further from the truth. Slow, meandering and stupid.

6. So Bad It's Good - Beneath Still Waters. The few things that redeemed this flick from "Worst" was that there were a few laughs, and the last 30 minutes or so contained a bunch of violence and nudity. Plus an ending that was I'm sure, supposed to be shocking that instead turned out to be laugh out loud funny.

7. Goriest - Slither. Never mind the exploding woman that we all know and love - or detest. There were a lot of parts of this movie that just totally grossed me out!

8. Most Memorable Death - Juno from The Descent. Even though her death is actually off screen, it starts when Sarah nails her in the leg with that pick-ax and leaves her. You know she is going to go down fighting and her end will not be pretty. Plus she totally deserved it.

9. Best Looking Monster - Kind of a tough one as I didn't really watch any true "monster" flicks. However I choose those slug things from Sliver. Simplicity of design, but very effective. I could not watch those things go down people's throats without gagging. Bleh.

10. Scariest - Ju-on. No question. See above for story on how I equated my son with Creepy Blue Boy.

Yay Horrorthon! Thanks for such a great time everyone!

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

I love that Scary Jake story! That's a riot. And really, what are children, if not something to be terrified of?

I was so pleased that you took on Ju-on, it's a hard core horrifier, not the kind of thing you generally expect your little sister can handle.

And yeah, Mia Farrow looks delightfully gaunt and awful in Rosemary's Baby. Apparently part of her horrible look was helped by real-life drama; she received her divorce papers from Frank Sinatra on the set.

Whirlygirl said...

Your story is great DCD! Children creep me out when they sing. Whenever I see them singing in a horror movie, It sends a chill up my spine.

Thanks for the Mia farrow/Sinatra info, Octo. I love getting little bits of knowledge like that.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...