Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Frankenstein 'Alive!' again thanks to Niles, Wrightson


From usatoday, It's not lightning and a sweet mad-scientist setup that's again giving life to Frankenstein's monster. It's the friendship of two horror gurus, writer Steve Niles and artist Bernie Wrightson.

Their new 12-issue IDW miniseries Frankenstein Alive, Alive! (arriving in comic shops Wednesday) continues the story of the famous monster from the end of Mary Shelley's classic 1818 novel — or, more fittingly, from Wrightson's seminal 1983 illustrated adaptation.

"His original Frankenstein book was something I carried around with me as a little kid that I adored," Niles says. "There's just enough of an age difference between Bernie and I that I grew up on his stuff."

Alive! begins in the early 20th century, with Dr. Victor Frankenstein's creation having made a home with a traveling circus. Niles and Wrightson then flash back to where Shelley left off decades before, with the monster near the North Pole after having stowed away on Capt. Walton's ship and vowing to kill himself.

Read the full story here

1 comment:

JPX said...

I love Bernie Wrightson art and I will have to collect this series.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...