Thursday, August 09, 2012
Monkees to reunite for Davy Jones tribute tour
The surviving members of The Monkees have announced that they will be reuniting for a new tour.
The tour, which begins in November, will mark the band's first live dates since their frontman Davy Jones passed away in February and is their first full run of shows for over 15 years.
The band's surviving members Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork will join with Michael Nesmith for the tour, who hasn't performed with the band since 1997.
Speaking to Rolling Stone, Nesmith said when asked why he'd agreed to do the tour: "It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place, but like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current."
He continued: "Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play."
Nesmith said the setlist will be focused around the band's third album 'Headquarters' as well as including tracks from himself and Peter Tork, which have never previously been performed in concert.
Davy Jones passed away as a result of a heart attack on February 29 this year, he was 66 years old.
A number of stars paid tribute to Davy Jones, including Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan, who dedicated his band's NME Award to Jones in a video you can watch below.