Monday, November 06, 2006

Hostel

(2005) ****1/2



By the time I sat face to face with Hostel, I was already mentally drained by the torture genre at large and contemplated aborting the movie altogether.   Luckily, JPX's glowing review and promise of satisfying revenge gave me the strength to proceed. 

The three main characters are led by their penises through a tour of Europe with an ambitious goal of having sex with as many women as possible.  After even Amsterdam's Red Light District leaves them wanting, they head for Slovakia, the alleged land of beautiful women who universally feel that sex is just great.   This excursion leads them to a hell on earth that only the world's most disturbed sickos could fathom. Though the three pig-headed college boys should in no way be deemed role models, they hardly deserve the inhumane trap that awaits them.  Realistically, no one on earth should be made to endure such horrors, Paris Hilton included.  

The biggest weapon in this film's mighty arsenal is the overwhelming feeling of anxiety that the separation from familiar territory adds.  But it does make me curious as to how Slovakians might feel about being portrayed as organized barbarians.   I would suspect a tad misunderstood.  My brief online search of Slovakian tourism discussed historic towns, national parks and ski resorts but failed to mention anything about torture factories.  

JPX was not kidding when he praised the satisfying resolution to the story.  Unlike a recent Texas based film that shall remain nameless, Hostel will prompt you to stand up and shout "YES!!!   Take THAT, you bastards!", albeit after already having shouted "Why oh why must I bear witness to these atrocities!"

I wholeheartedly second JPX's "Watch Hostel" command.

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"Organized barbarians" - I guess that's an oxymoron but there aren't many ways to describe the situation...

Octopunk said...

I saw this too, and I thought that was one of the most interesting parts of the movie. I'll gab that point out when I review it.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...