Friday, November 17, 2006

Video of UCLA Tasering Incident

I'm posting this because it's absolutely horrifying, and because it's germaine to the site: critics of horror movies and violent video games etc. are constantly remarking that violent entertainment "desensitizes" people to actual violence. I say bullshit (and always have) and I offer as a case in point the just-posted You-tube video of the UCLA tasering incident, in which an American college student with a muslim-sounding name and dark skin is tasered by campus security once he's been handcuffed. The video (which I offer without the slightest trace of "voyeuristic intention" as Magenta put it in Rocky Horror) still has me shaking, because the screams are real.

It's different when it's real. Even we, who enthusiastically devour bloody movies at the rate of hundreds a month (if we get to pick the month) understand this. Link to the YouTube video.

"Here's your fucking Patriot Act!" he screams. Absolutely terrifying.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That footage is absolutely appalling! Hopefully the officers will be severely punished but it makes me wonder how many times idiots like them have gotten away with this kind of abuse. It also makes me want to carry a video camera around 24/7.

50PageMcGee said...

yes, and hopefully, summerisle, you'll have a much steadier hand than the guy holding the camera here. after a few minutes, i found myself craning my neck at my screen, like i'd just thrown a bowling ball towards the gutter.

nice that there was video onsite and i think from now on there always will be, but judging by the fury of the other students present, there was absolutely no way this wasn't going to be publicized, video or no.

Jordan said...

I was at a party last night were several people were talking about this as being some kind of "Zapruder Film"/"Kent State" milestone. I firmly believe that when the history of this century is written (I optimistically say "when" and not "if") the first chapter of that history will almost always be called "9/11" and the author of those books will get to a chapter about technology, and YouTube and this video will be there, right in the text.

Jordan said...

I'm looking forward to Saw II and Day of the Dead, arriving today.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...