Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Rasputin the Mad Monk

(1966) ***1/2



Based on the life of the enigmatic mystic "healer" who obtained great influence over the Russian Royal Family during the Romanov Dynasty, this film depicts one possible scenario of Rasputin's strange rise to power and eventual demise. "Yes, but this is extremely boring and it has nothing to do with horror", one might argue. Not true!

Though Hammer's take on the legend Rasputin is preposterous, it gave Christopher Lee the rare chance to play a character with some depth and complexity - (but thankfully he's still a bastard!) About one minute into the film, Rasputin kicks open the door and demands attention by shouting at everyone. Sporting a long beard and a deranged expression, he resembles a young Saruman just discovering his evil. Great hair, great look. Lee portrays Rasputin as a belligerent, wine guzzling womanizer. He dances, makes toasts to himself and excels at drinking competitions. He is also a hypnotist and a healer. But unlike Spiderman's "with great power comes great responsibility" nonsense,



his philosophy on the matter is "the power is mine and I shall use it as I please!"

And use it he does. His first order of business is hypnotizing a servant and forcing her to push the tsar's son off of a rooftop so that he can wow the Royal Family with his gift. The scheme pays off and he quickly sleazes his way into high society. He makes many enemies along the way but systematically disposes them with his trickery. He drives one woman to suicide using hypnosis. Eventually his misdeeds catch up with him and his enemies put forth a concerted effort to bring the man down. But Christopher Lee does not go down easy. (For proof of this, refer to EVERY movie he's ever been in.)

Actually his death scene is one of the lengthiest I've ever seen on film (or in person for that matter). The true events surrounding Rasputin's murder have been greatly exaggerated over the years and Hammer milks this for everything its worth.

I'm aware that I'm a bigger fan of the Hammer films than my colleagues and therefore rate the movies higher than they likely deserve. However, I honestly don't have any bad things to say about this one.

13 comments:

Octopunk said...

I've always liked Rasputin as a historical figure because he's like Kato Kaelin with ambition -- no royal blood or career in politics yet there he is screwing around at the highest levels of Russian rulership. It's like if Nancy Reagan's astrologer was macking on interns in the press room and passing out drunk in the rose garden. I had no idea Christopher Lee ever portrayed Rasputin; THAT was a completely excellent idea.

I have little exposure to the Hammer horror catalogue, but I still consider the vibe to be very important to the overall horrorscape. I mean, think about it: "British horror." It just makes sense.

I also enjoy that the Hammer films are your specialty, Summerisle, the same way JPX has been culling the lesser-known titles in the American b&w realm.

The fifteenth is tomorrow, boys! Are we all going to finish our reviews? Moo hoo ha ha.

I might by the end of the day tomorrow. I know I'mnotMarc is getting antsy.

JPX said...

Oh God, I don't think my reviews will be completed until the end of the month at this point. Part of the problem is that I can only write them at work, and only when I have patient cancellations or no-shows.

50PageMcGee said...

I know, come on already. i've been twiddling my thumbs for two weeks waiting to do my post-thon wrap up.

Jordan said...

Christopher Lee "goes down easy" in Revenge of the Sith.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Good point. I've gotta stop using words like "every" and "never"...

I love the look in Dooku's eyes when he realizes he's done for.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

And there's no way in hell I'll be finished with the reviews any time soon. I make a motion that we don't have to finish them and we immediately begin with the post 'thon wrapup festivities. Gentlemen?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ok, I was a bit hasty there. You see, I just noticed that I'm using this time to talk about extending the deadline when I should be writing a review. There's a word for that isn't there...

Octopunk said...

Nah, let's just keep pushing ahead. We all know it'll be all three of us waiting for JPX to finish, so let's get to that stage and taunt him.

Also, for all my big talk I've still got a few to do myself.

JPX said...

"We all know it'll be all three of us waiting for JPX to finish"

Heeeeeeeey, that's not, oh wait, that is true...

50PageMcGee said...

and here i am, over in the corner with my halo and my sparkling cleanliness saying, "all three of you suck and need to type faster. so sayeth the good lord. now move, pansies."

JPX said...

I try, I try! I can only work on these in-between my patients. Damnit, they keep showing up, what's up with that?

Octopunk said...

Well, maybe if you fixed them right the first time they wouldn't come back.

JPX said...

Touche!

bastard.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...