Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Weird casting news, Dennis Quaid Leads G.I. Joe


From cinemablend, Dennis Quaid is joining the cast of G.I. Joe. He’s the first actor over 40 on the team, so it’s appropriate that he’s also playing the Joe’s leader General Hawk, according to Variety.

It’s no secret that I’ve never been a fan of the whole G.I. Joe thing. I was one of those poor, food stamp kids you used to throw stuff at in the lunch line for wearing clothes from K-Mart, and while there was a pretty good generic brand, discount version of the Transformers available in Go-Bots, there was no decent welfare-kid friendly version of G.I. Joe available, so it never caught my interest. It took me a year to save up enough money just to buy one Dino Bot, Cobra Commander wasn’t even on my radar.

So, rather than attempting to know what I’m talking about, here’s what Wikipedia, for better or worse, says about the character: “Hawk is the code name of Major General Clayton M. Abernathy. He is the commander of the G.I. Joe Team. Born in Denver, Colorado, he comes from a wealthy family whose influence enabled him to enroll in West Point where he graduated at the top of his class. He was even able to gain experience in the battlefield in several trouble spots.”

Quaid is the first actor to join the cast who my parents might have heard of. They’re not exactly Channing Tatum fans. The Tatum as Duke rumor which we reported on yesterday by the way, was confirmed this morning in the same Variety story as the Quaid announcement. So breathe a sigh of relief G.I. Joe fans, Duke will be able to out-dance Cobra.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Well, that's nice. A little class is added to what will prove to be a silly, silly movie.

50PageMcGee said...

yes, let us all remember the class that dennis quaid brought to the remake of flight of the phoenix. it's funny, dennis quaid brings as much class to crappy movies as randy quaid takes away from good ones.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...