Monday, October 12, 2015

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

(2014) ***1/2

The motley denizens of Bad City, a fictional Iranian town, are watched by a mysterious and mostly silent figure with her own private agenda.

I wanted to love this noirish, sometimes surreal film with touches of black humor. The soundtrack and cinematography are excellent, and the glimpse at a different culture provides a fresh slant, but overall the film moves too slowly for true excellence.  I would definitely recommend it, and can easily imagine rewatching it, so check it out (streaming Netflix) if you are in the mood for something highly atmospheric and beautifully made but slower paced. Totally biddy friendly.

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

This is one I threw on my list and I'm glad to hear it's a decent find. I love atmospheric horror.

Btw Tony & I went to see Goodnight Mommy today and I would say biddy beware.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Interesting, but where is the horror?

JPX said...

That still you posted is haunting/beautiful. Is there any 'horror' to the story?

AC said...

Yes there is horror but not as much as I wanted.

Octopunk said...

I may have to check this one out, especially since Netflix won’t let me get 8 dvds at a time anymore. I’m finding the streaming choices a little limited.

The title and culture of origin intrigue me. Is the girl who walks home alone meant to be at fault in any way?

AC said...

Octopunk, I think you'll appreciate this one! I don't want to give anything away, but she is not meant to be at fault.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...