Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Atticus Institute


(2015) ***1/2

Set in the mid 1970’s, The Atticus Institute is a mockumentary about Dr. Henry West and his research team who are trying to locate people possessing extraordinary abilities such as ESP and psychokinesis which was a popular topic at the time.  The ‘documentary’ is replete with interviews and archival footage of test subjects purportedly with the special powers.  Not surprisingly most of the subjects turn out to be frauds until they meet Judith Winstead.  Initially sheepish and nerdy, Judith demonstrates uncanny abilities including telekinesis and pyrokinesis.  As time goes on Judith’s powers grow and rather than be scared of her Dr. West pushes her to her limits while ignoring the fact that she is clearly unraveling.  Eventually the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency is called in and the agency immediately reveals its plans to weaponize her.




A few years ago I expressed my enthusiasm for the chilling ‘Lake Mungo’ (2008), a mockumentary about the loss of a daughter to drowning and her subsequent ghostly appearances in her family home.  Told in a similar fashion, “The Atticus Institute” is a convincing faux-documentary chronicling a woman with superpowers slowly going insane.  Highly engrossing yet never scary, I enjoyed the ‘documentary’ and had to keep reminding myself that the interviews with staff, friends, family, etc. were all fake.  Well worth your time despite the lack of “scares”.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

This movie has been sitting on my table all month. I need to just suck it up and watch it!

Catfreeek said...

JPX I gave you a copy of the Poughkeepsie Tapes a few years ago and I believe you've yet to watch it. It is the most effective mockumentary I have seen to date and it is extremely chilling. Just ask JSP

AC said...

I like the sound of this one. Where is it available?

Octopunk said...

I also have been avoiding The Poughkeepsie Tapes, truth be told. I have no excuse.

This sounds pretty good, but I want to jump in with a bit of grammar Nazism. A "mockumentary" is a parody, like This is Spinal Tap This movie or Lake Mungo are pseudo-documentaries or faux documentaries or docufiction (can't really tell if there's a difference between those terms, but I know that mock = funny. I just looked it up and everything).

Johnny Sweatpants said...

JPX and Octo - watch Poughkeepsie Tapes FFS!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...