Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Other

 (1972)****1/2

Adapted from the outstanding Thomas Tryon novel of the same name, set in the 1920's The Other is a chilling tale of twin brothers Niles & Holland. Niles is the good brother tender and caring who retains a close and special relationship with his grandmother Ada (Uta Hagen) while Holland is a little demon who resorts to murder when someone gets in his way. Holland is always talking Niles into helping him with his plans.


After seeing the twins in Goodnight Mommy I grew nostalgic in remembering this film from my childhood. This was one I never missed whenever it aired and each and every time it scared the living bejeezes out of me. I am quite happy to say the film has not lost any of it's impact over the years. Well acted, truly chilling and interesting from start to finish. I know some of you are not fans of the slow paced 70's horror films but The Other steers clear of the Hammeresque snooze fest pattern with a refreshingly well told tale that is worth every minute invested into it. Being a 70's film it is entirely biddy friendly but have no fear the lack of gore is made up for in the story telling. If any of you would like to watch this there is an exceptional version available on YouTube.

3 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I love it when an old gem holds up. I really want to see this now.

AC said...

Never even heard of this one! Sounds great!! Truly scary biddy safe movies are hard to come by.

Octopunk said...

I've never heard of it either but what a wonderful bookend to the contemporary twin movie. I notice neither of the pictures shows the two boys --- are they really twins in this one or a split personality? (Don't tell me)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...