Tuesday, October 20, 2015

We Are Still Here


(2015) ****1/2

Mourning the loss of their son, a middle-aged couple, Paul and Anne, move into their new 1850’s country home hoping to bring some solace to their lives. Anne has been hit hard by their son’s death and she grapples with severe depression. As they unpack and set-up their new place Anne insists that she feels their deceased son’s presence. The quietude of their new lives is disrupted after their new neighbors show up and tell the grieving couple about the gristly history of their new home. Over the next few days peculiar things begin happening in the house and Anne is convinced that her son is attempting to reach her. Against Paul’s wishes Anne invites her eccentric married, new-age friends to visit given their interest in the occult. After only being in the house for a little while her friends determine that Anne is not being contacted by her son but instead by malevolent forces. After a particularly terrifying seance it becomes obvious that they need to escape the house.


Set in 1979 the first third of ‘We Are Still Here’ plays like a standard things-that-go-bump-in-the-night “haunted house” chiller. It drips with mood and atmosphere but does not offer anything you haven’t seen before. However, make no mistake, when the house finally unleashes its secrets it becomes an unrelenting bloodbath of terror. I am purposely keeping things vague because it is better not to know much about this startling horror tale.  You guys will love it! The four leads are excellent and the 1979 setting is spot on in detail.  An unexpected surprise!

9 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I just watched this and loved it too, will save my thoughts for my review. (That rhymed.)

Trevor said...

I had been thinking about this one for awhile. I'm eager to check it out now. Very cool.

Catfreeek said...

This is literally on our watch list tonight so I'm not going to read your review as yet but your rating pleases me.

7ofNine said...

Goin out on a limb here to guess its NOT Biddy friendly.

AC said...

I was just going to ask! Biddy friendly or not?

JPX said...

Hmmmmmm, I think it's biddy friendly. It's very atmospheric until the final act of retribution. I think the biddies can handle it just fine!

Octopunk said...

Dang, this sounds pretty damn good. I like that JPX has liked two horror flicks set in the 70s that came out this year, but generally dislikes horror from the 70s.

JPX said...

Haha, Octo! I don't dislike horror in the 70s, only horror in the early 70s, especially British horror from that era.

7ofNine said...

Biddy friendly for sure. I will be able to sleep tonight, yet felt my adrenaline pop a few times. Loved the rapport between the couples. Tell me, of those that saw this, did anyone else crave whisky & bbq afterwards?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...