Monday, August 01, 2011

'Potter' finale conjures up $1 billion worldwide


LOS ANGELES (AP) — Harry Potter has joined the billion-dollar club.

Distributor Warner Bros. said Sunday that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office. It's soon expected to pass Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which is this year's top grossing movie at $1.03 billion.

The last of the eight films about the young wizard is the first in the franchise to reach the billion dollar mark. The previous best global haul was $974.8 million for the original film, 2001's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

With $21.9 million domestically this weekend, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 climbed to a domestic total of $318.5 million. That tops the franchise's previous best of $317.6 million for Sorcerer's Stone.

But factoring in today's higher admission prices, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has not caught up to Sorcerer's Stone in terms of actual tickets sold.

The 2009 film Avatar holds the record for the biggest worldwide box office haul, grossing $2.8 billion. It's followed by another James Cameron film, Titanic, which brought in $1.8 billion.

7 comments:

AC said...

did anyone else see the final potter? i finally went yesterday and enjoyed it.

JPX said...

I'm behind, I haven't seen the last 3. At some point I'll have a marathon.

Jordan said...

Never read a word, never saw a frame.

Octopunk said...

I saw it on Saturday and loved it. I wished they hadn't shuffled Neville's big moment, but the kiss was a fantastic re-do.

Based on Order of the Phoenix I never would've guessed David Yates could pull off what he did with the following flicks. The opening scene with Snape on the balcony was wonderfully, pointedly stark.

Octopunk said...

Hey JPX, what's with this picture?

DKC said...

We saw it and overall I was happy. I think some of the shifts in the end kind of bummed me out - like the one Octo mentioned. Still, it was an amazing send off.

JPX said...

Octo, there is a site about "bad high school photos" (or something like that) and I just thought the picture of that dude was hilarious. Also, I just couldn't find a Harry Potter picture that I liked.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...