Saturday, March 17, 2012

Nerdy Knitting -- R2D2 knit hat

 When I read the subject line "R2D2 Intarsia" in my email inbox this afternoon I nearly leapt out of my seat.




Sitting in a coffee shop in a major city where the streets today have been littered with just as much trash as they have with scantily-clad green teenaged girls "celebrating" remnants of a holiday that many don't understand (I include myself in that category), I hope you all can imagine my glee in uncovering yet another way in which nerds unite their affinity for science fiction and crafts.
Intarsia is a knitting technique where you simultaneously knit more than one color of yarn in any given row. The "right side" of the work looks neat and orderly but the "wrong side" looks like a tangle of stranded colorful fibers, as if a rainbow had diarrhea on your garments.
See what I mean?

Anyway the full Interweave Knits article is here. A Google search for "R2D2 knit hat also yielded Vulcan-ear hats and Death Star hats, among others (such as a baby hat with giant Yoda ears).

5 comments:

JPX said...

That is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I would like to put in an order for an R2D2 hat for next Christmas.

Crystal Math said...

It'd be cool to make a C-3P0 hat as well!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I want a Robocop hat.

JPX said...

Crystal should open up a Cafe Press

DKC said...

SO cool!! I've always wanted to learn how to knit.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...