Monday, July 09, 2012

Actor Ernest Borgnine dead at 95


(CNN) -- Film and television actor Ernest Borgnine, who won an Academy Award for his portrayal of a lovelorn butcher in 1955's "Marty," has died at age 95, his manager said Sunday.

The thick-set, gap-toothed Borgnine built a reputation for playing heavies in early films like "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock." But he turned that reputation on its head as the shy, homely title character in "Marty," taking home the Oscar for best actor -- one of four awards the film claimed.

Full tribute here

7 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I always liked him, he is most memorable to me as the cabby in Escape From New York and Rogo in The Poseidon Adventure.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The only thing I remember him in is The Devil's Rain, which I loved.

Catfreeek said...

Yeah but your biased to old people wearing Satanic robes.

DKC said...

Ha-ha, Cat. Man, another star down! Makes me feel old...

JPX said...

He was hilarious in that Simpson's episode!

The Mr. said...

is it just me or are they going in 5's instead of 3's

Octopunk said...

Cripes, I think we might be into double digits this year.

Ernest Borgnine was great and he was in goddamn everything. He's got 203 titles listed on his imdb page. I think my favorites are Escape from New York and Deadly Blessing, in which he played a crazy hyper-Amish holy roller.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...