Thursday, July 05, 2012

Oops! San Diego's Fireworks all go off at once


Apparently some technical glitch caused every single firework, shooting off of four different platforms, to launch and explode at the same time. What should have been an 18-minute show was over in about 15 seconds.

I found these two videos that get right to the point after wading through several local news reports with lots of padding. People on the ground were pissed, and I suppose I would be too, but it was probably a pretty amazing, unique thing to see live. They'll talk about it for years.

Here's two different angles of the event.

3 comments:

JPX said...

I can see how it might be disappointing to people who planned their day around a 4th of July fireworks show but, damn, that’s a once in a lifetime spectacle and I bet it was amazing in real life. I agree these people have a unique story to tell for the rest of their lives.

DKC said...

I've watched this a couple of times now - it looks like some sci-fi landscape or something with those three giant fireballs.

Octopunk said...

I keep thinking about that urban college legend about the kid who takes a bunch of speed before his philosophy exam. He thinks he aces it because of all the phat philosophy his brain is cranking out, but when he passes it in the TA says "what is this?" The punchline is that he's written every word on the same line at the top of the paper, going back to the left side over and over and leaving a dense, dark blue, angry scribble.

Because that's the bizarre space crampage part of this story that keeps delighting me. You think of fireworks as large spherical objects but really they're mostly empty space, so there's no problem making a hundred of them coexist in the same space intended for just one. That freaks me out!

And what better way to witness a bizarre fluke of perceptual spatial math than as a humongous explosion? A colony explosion.

I am so jealous of those people.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...