Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Bryan Singer to remake Logan's Run


From Iwatchstuff, "While promoting Superman Returns this weekend, Bryan Singer dropped a reminder that he's still going to remake Logan's Run with his Usual Suspects co-writer, Christopher McQuarrie:

I'm taking concepts in the book and the movie, the 1976 movie, and some of my own concepts and merging them together for my interpretation. That's as best as I can say. It takes place in a unique environment, one we haven't seen in a movie before. In a mainstream movie before. ... If we do that, it would happen soon. It would happen as early as this year, the end of this year. I guess it would be for ... When would Logan's Run be for? ... 2008.
Though I can't remember if I actually like Logan's Run, or just the robot in it that keeps talking about protein from the sea, I'm definitely excited that Bryan Singer is remaking it.

For those that don't know, Logan's Run describes a distyopian future where the people are euthanized at the age of 21, or in the film version, 30. Let's hope Singer is smart enough to keep the age upped over 21; sci-fi nerds will never get behind a fictional society where they'd never lose their virginity."

5 comments:

JPX said...

I too cannot recall if I like Logan's Run or not. I have it on DVD somewhere so perhaps I need to bone up.

Octopunk said...

If you do, it's for the goof. I watched it recently and it's pretty silly. The robot that keeps talking about "protein from the sea" is a riot.

I say let Bryan Singer do anything he wants with it.

Anonymous said...

It's terrible

Octopunk said...

Yeah, he's right. There's a scene at the end that particularly incenses me (spoiler coming if anyone cares). The city blows up, and everybody comes outside and sees the old man Logan brought back from the outer world. And they're all fascinated and happy and the music swells and yay! the happy ending, the dystopic society has been smashed and everybody can see how great getting old is.

WRONG! After their society collapses, it makes more sense to me that the populace would see the old guy, blame him for their current woes, and tear him to pieces.

Octopunk said...

The offendingly horrible Demolition Man does something similar, first by having the counterintuitive setup of the surface "haves," with aggression bred out of them, ignoring a subterranean group of "have-nots" who still know how to fight. THAT situation would never emerge, let alone sustain itself -- but then the flick caps its own stupidity by having everyone stroll out together, all friendly now. As if the Morlock people wouldn't just rampage around, helping themselves.

Hell, I would.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...