Friday, February 17, 2006

Return of the Jedi deleted scene

Jordan got me thinking about all the missing scenes from the Star Wars Trilogy that we've only heard about. I did a little digging and found these sandstorm pictures that Jordan mentioned:

"Return of the Jedi: My sentimental favorite. I saw this one in theatres twice during it's first run. The first time I spent watching it backwards through the reflection in the old projector because I was so afraid of Jabba...the second time we arrived late and I flat out refused to go in because Jabba was already on screen. I lived, breathed, and ate this movie for my entire life. Purists don't consider this one all that great, mainly because of the so-called Ewok marketing ploy...but for me, this movie was Star Wars.

One notable deleted scene takes place after the good guys succeed in rescuing Han and blowing up basically everyone associated with Jabba the Hutt. Before Luke and the rest of the Rebels go their seperate ways in space for a little while, there's a scene with them meeting up near the Falcon on Tatooine during a sandstorm.




Of course, technology then wasn't what it is today, so they created an actual sandstorm to create the scene. Ultimately, most of what they shot was too blurry to even use. And after some inspection, Lucas felt it hurt the flow of the movie, so it was altogether dropped.




The scene shows Luke explaining to everyone about how he had some 'business' to take care of before they go onto the Falcon. Of course, Luke's referring to his impending return to the Dagobah System so he can complete his Jedi training with Yoda. Obviously, Luke needs a little more training. He didn't even have the foresight to realize that Yoda would die five minutes after he got there. What a waste of time!



The most unfortunate part about this scene not making the final cut is that we didn't get a chance to see how silly Luke looks trying to be all serious while wearing these ridiculously exaggerated goggles."

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I've never seen these! Cool! I disagree with the writer, those goggles rock. I wish I had a pair.

It's funny to hear from someone who was just old enough to experience Jedi in the theaters as a little kid. I've never heard anyone say "Jedi IS Star Wars for me." I get it, though.

JPX said...

I agree, those goggles are cool and the scene sounds cool too!

Anonymous said...

I played "hooky" to see Jedi. I was a junior in high school.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...