Friday, June 29, 2007

Octopunk's bedroom, er, I mean Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

From CHUD, Judging from the trailer for Zach Helm's Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, it's abundantly clear that we share a deep, abiding adoration for Pee Wee's Big Adventure. That said, we express our affection in very different ways: I settle for simply watching the movie, while he mugs Walden Media for an undisclosed chunk of change in order to rip off the film's aesthetic. Think I'm being harsh? Watch the below trailer. It's one thing to have the adorable Natalie Portman sweetly whispering "Good Morning" to the toy shop as she opens for business, but quite another to incorporate Danny Elfman's "Breakfast Machine" cue at the precise moment you're thinking, "Gee, the only way this trailer could remind me more of Pee Wee's Big Adventure is if they suddenly cut in the actual music from Pee Wee's Big Adventure!"

Hopefully, this is just Fox's marketing department just phoning in a trailer for a movie they don't understand. It happens. I like the talent involved (Portman, Dustin Hoffman and Jason Bateman) and found Stranger Than Fiction mildly diverting for about an hour or so. This might be something. It also might be as pleasant as dysentery (though I'm sure dysentary has its fans, too).


3 comments:

DKC said...

Still looks pretty fun.
Plus I totally have a crush on Ms. Portman.

JPX said...

Yeah I'm up for anything that uses Pee-Wee's Big Adventure as inspiration. It looks like the Willy Wonka of toy stores.

Julie said...

It looks a little cheesy. And I could crush Natalie Portman--she's teeny.

And Octo, Zach Helm can often be found at Mike's place. Oh, LA, how you seduce me with your glamor by association. Every day I fall in love again.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...