Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A gift for the West coast folks!


From x-entertainment, I mentioned our little snowstorm a few entries back, completely forgetting that fact that many of you live in climates that have completely precluded you from ever touching the funny white stuff. I can't imagine that. I feel for you. Fortunately, some two-bit company from someplace or another has seen fit to deliver us from the evils of snowless societies with a little kit that will let anyone create and play with a substance that, on a stretch, passes as actual snow!

The "Super Snow" kit consists of a little baggy of magic powder, and if I were you, I wouldn't try bringing it through airport security. By stirring even a small amount of powder with a few ounces of water, an icy, sticky and sopping wet mass of snow-like alien gel will form!



As you stir, the water and powder will join hands and transform into a white blob that looks sort of like really clean oatmeal, and incredibly, it works very much like real snow: You can roll a snowball, make little snowmen, and if the mood strikes, I'm pretty sure that you can eat it without dying.

In reality, the substances used to make this "instant snow" are borrowed from another purpose. The snow gel is actually more often used as plant soil in dry areas. I'm not making this up; it says so right on the back of the package. Then again, the back of the package also claims that Super Snow can be used at parties, weddings and festivals. They may have taken a few liberties. Sure, it could be used at a wedding…but for what? Did the upstart tradition wherein man and wife consummate their contractual bond by making fake snow together somehow escape me?


All in all, I was really surprised at how well the stuff worked. I was expecting a gloppy, powdery mess, but the faux frost really does feel like the end result of some foreign utopia's ten year research expedition. I really can't think of a single way to improve the stuff. It's not poisonous, it looks like snow, it feels like snow, and it's kind of shiny. Those are the four hallmarks of any item worth purchasing.

I found my Super Snow in an actual store with real doors, but it looks like there are plenty of online options. True, it might be a bit late to be ordering the stuff for Christmas, but I think snow is safe to enjoy in January without anyone telling you to get over yourself.

The Advent is technically up to date so long as I put #18 up before midnight. Vegas odds never favor me, though. I've got a few others things that need to be covered before Santa arrives, lest I be left with a big plastic bin of "stuff to write about" that has to rot in the closet until next Christmas. Maybe another blog entry later today? Vegas says no, but we'll see.

[JPX]Save your money, I know where you can get a ton of this stuff for free.

6 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Around here it only snows where we tell it to. If we get really nostalic (hasn't happened yet) we can drive an hour east to Lake Tahoe.

I don't mean to constantly be an ass but I used to get really depressed in the winters. And it wasn't the lack of sunlight, it was simply the fact that it's so godammed cold all the time. Going outside shouldn't have to be a chore.

Ok I do mean to constantly be an ass. Seriously, how can you guys live like that? It's so barbaric!

Julie said...

East Coasters, I am on your side. Not only is there not enough snow here, there isn't even enough water. It makes no sense at all.

Whirlygirl said...

I could do without the snow. Its only purpose for me is snowboarding, and I have to drive to the mountains anyway, so I vote to keep the snow over there, of course, the universe doesn't care what I want.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ok, in light of these comments, I propose we trade Julie for Whirlygirl.

Octopunk said...

No way! I ain't going to that chipmunk movie.

Whirlygirl said...

Watch out West coasters!

I have a friend moving to California on Saturday. Maybe I will stow away in her luggage and then drag you all to the chipmunk movie. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! (evil laugh)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...