Tuesday, December 18, 2007

WGA Thumbs Nose At Awards Shows


From cinemablend, The Writer’s Guild of America strike, which is now dragging into its seventh week, could disrupt both the Golden Globe awards in January and the Oscars is February. The optimism that grew out of the negotiations re-start at the beginning of December has long faded and everyone seems to think this thing could go on for about 10 or 15 years. Maybe not that long, since there are Lexus payments to be made, but no end is in sight and the two sides aren’t even talking.

Variety says that both the Oscars and Golden Globe producers asked the WGA for waivers to allow them to hold their awards shows with some semblance of normalcy. The union told the shows to go pound sand. The Oscars wanted to use clips during the telecast and the Globes wanted writers to pen those annoying intros for each award. Since they have been turned down, it’s unclear what the shows will do if the strike is not ended prior to mid-January, which is very likely.

The WGA has granted some waivers for awards shows, including the SAG awards show, the Kennedy Center Honors, and an AIDS fundraiser, but the Globes may be a different story. Not only has the waiver to have a WGA writer pen the punch line been denied, but there is a real possibility the WGA will picket the telecast. If they do, many nominees have already said they won’t cross the picket line. This may backfire on the WGA. I rarely watch the Golden Globes, but with no lame scripted lines or horrible acceptance speeches, maybe I’ll tune in.

8 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Am I the only one who is entirely indifferent to the writer's strike? As far as television goes, there are what 3 good shows? I really enjoy Big Love and Lost. Heroes is alright and Weeds is pretty entertaining. Am I missing something?

As far as movies go, I'm of the opinion that we could all use a good year off of new material anyway. The only "great" movies that come to mind in recent memory are Grindhouse and V For Vendetta.

I vote that all the theaters in the country run classics for the next year. That might actually get my ass into a movie theater again instead of waiting for Netflix to get it.

Bah humbug.

JPX said...

Yeah except for LOST I couldn't care less. Do people really watch Jay Leno? Luckily all the animation I watch has already been completed.

JPX said...

Oh yeah, I too think it would be FANTASTIC to see classics on the big screen. I took a bunch of film courses in college and it was such a treat to see things like Blade Runner and Double Indemnity presented properly.

Whirlygirl said...

I care so much about the writers strike that I don't pay any attention to it at all. I vote for classics at the movie theater too.

Octopunk said...

Not to sour this discussion, but my ability to make money and do what I like is potentially threatened by all of this, and the longer it goes the more likely that is to happen. It's scaring people where I am.

But cinemablend's right, award shows are crap.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Thanks for the guilt trip Captain Bringdown...

*head lowered in shame, eyes averted* We're sorry.

Octopunk said...

Oh, jeez, no...I'm sorry. Hug! Hug!

JPX said...

What a killjoy!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...