Friday, June 03, 2011

Super 8 apparently sucks


From badassdigest [excerpt], There’s a lot wrong with the script for Super 8 – it is, frankly, a complete goddamn mess – but its cardinal sin to me is that it has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. Is it a coming of age story? A nostalgia piece? An alien rampage film? A misunderstood alien film? Some combination of these? It never decides, and so what could have been a really wonderful coming of age story gets swamped with an utterly pointless alien rampage movie that takes a hard left turn and smashes directly into a misunderstood alien movie. Laying bleeding in the wreckage is a half-assed nostalgia piece, the sort where a kid uses the old fashioned slang ‘mint’ six times in a row in one segment and never again.

Read full review here

4 comments:

DKC said...

Bummer. I'd still like to see it, but bummerrrrrr.

Landshark said...

Hm, the reviewer didn't like MI:III or Star Trek much, which were tons of fun.

Plus, of the 15 reviews on RT so far, 12 are positive and many raves.

I'm thinking/hoping this is an outlier.

Justin Cary said...

I wanted to love this film but it is so cliche....I think I am quickly losing faith in Mr. Abrams.

Anonymous said...

OMG...I was really looking forward to seeing this movie, but now I am still beating my head against the toilet and wishing for the 120 minutes of my life back. It was an absolutely pointless TRAINWRECK!!!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...