Thursday, April 19, 2012

Holy crap, it's Christian Archie!


I totally had no idea this existed, or I just forgot because I've never seen pages from it. From that article that JPX linked to in the previous post:

"The franchise did take a big risk once, but not in the progressive direction. At Hartley’s request, Archie’s publisher allowed a conservative Christian publisher to use the characters in explicitly religious settings in the 1970s and ‘80s. The resulting line of comics found the characters becoming born-again Christians: praying in the cafeteria, touring the world as missionaries, renouncing evolution, and spouting cheery lines like 'When they took the Bible out of school—more and more PROBLEMS came IN!'”

The hyperlink brings you to a an extensive article about the array of Christain Archie publications, and features many more off-putting images. I can only process this by thinking about it as a parallel universe Riverdale. Nutty!

5 comments:

JPX said...

Believe it or not I own that very issue!

Catfreeek said...

Did Archie go on a crusade?

Jordan said...

Haven't we been through this already? I seem to remember that page from another Horrorthon post. (And Horrorthon's not searchable, unlike -- *ahem* -- my blog, so there's no way to find out.

But those "activists" kill me.

Goddamned straights and suits, always giving it to the righteous brothers and sisters, and here's Archie Comics playing along; bunch of turncoats. You're in the comic book business! You're supposed to stick it to The Man!

Octopunk said...

JPX, I'm not surprised in the least.

And yes, if I had done a search I would've found this post from JPX that I seem to have missed from last June, which links to this Topless Robot article about awful comics. Which I'm going to read now.

To my credit, the Topless Robot coverage of God Archie doesn't really make the weirdness pop. I'm totally amazed by that page I posted with "It's time for God's people to go on the offensive!"

In, you know, biplanes with machine guns.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I tell the story often of how I was ambushed with Bible Archies while at summer camp. They were the only comic books deemed appropriate by the lunatics running the camp. I am not sorry for trying to escape.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...