Thursday, July 06, 2006

I worry that LOST is lost


In previous posts I've expressed my concern that J.J. Abrams is making up LOST as he's going along without any overarching beginning, middle, and ending to the story (e.g., X-Files). News of a potential movie seems to support my fear that we're going to have an unsatisfying ending to the TV series with a big fat "To be continued...at the movies!"

From Darkhorizons, "The makers of "Lost" want to end the hit TV show after a maximum of five years and are planning a feature-length movie spin-off.

Co-creator Damon Lindelof is so worried producers and studio executives will drag the show out he is making his opinion on the matter clear now.

Speaking with entertainment news wire service PR Inside, he says "We'd love to end the show after four year, five years tops and do a movie".

At that rate it would put a film in cinemas in 2009 or 2010."

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Since I haven't yet assimilated the stack of Lost dvds Jordan gave me, I feel I can't really opine on their potential for not screwing this up. But I certainly feel that stringing a story along for non-organic reasons generally isn't good for the story. There's numerous comic book titles that can attest to that.

Anonymous said...

You're crazy. There's nothing wrong with Lost. I will get very beligerent about it: if you think Lost has failed, you either stopped watching, stopped thinking about it, or have some unrelated additional problem that is interfering with your television viewing.

The mystery is about as well-constructed and well-told as anything I've ever seen or read; every gambit has paid off; the numbers and hatch stories are perfectly resolved, and the backstories are only getting better and more interesting as the island story develops.

Additionally Lost has that rare quality: genuine depth. The naming of characters after Enlightenment philosophers (John Locke, Desmond David Hume) is not just set-dressing: the philosophical dimensionality of the story and its musings about communities, societies, morality and perception continues to amaze and delight me.

So, don't pick on Lost: you don't know what you're talking about. It's exceeding expectations on every level.

Anonymous said...

And, there is NO WAY IN HELL that they're making it up as they go along. If you think that, you simply haven't been paying attention. The story is simply too good for that to be true. Too many long Rube Goldberg devices have worked for that to be true.

Anonymous said...

A couple of hours later I'm appalled at how mean this sounds! You know I love you, jpx. "Lost" is just one of those things

JPX said...

Oh believe me, I love LOST too. I've only seen the first season (on DVD) so far and I loved it. I've been waiting for the second season of LOST to come out on DVD before watching it. I probably didn't express myself the way I intended to. I totally dig this show. The only thing I know about the second season is little bits that make it into the news. I guess some of the stuff that I heard made me think, "Uh oh, I hope he's not just making it up as he's going along." I don't have any real reason to believe this, it was more of a passing thought. I'm totally psyched to hear that it holds up, I can't wait to check out season 2when it comes out in the fall.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...