Friday, July 14, 2006

Will summer 2007 be "transformed"?

Transformers teaser

Summerisle is predicting that the Transformer movie is going to be "huge". Call me skeptical but I have my doubts that this is going to take off. Then again, there's this whole Goonies-generation that I sometimes fail to appreciate, and by appreciate I mean "forget they exist." From Usatoday, Interest in Transformers is about to be, well, transformed into full-fledged mania.

A new DVD, The Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition (Sony, due Nov.7), not only celebrates the original 1986 animated film based on the Hasbro toy line, but also gives a sneak look at the Michael Bay-directed Transformers film due next summer (trailer at transformersmovie.com). Executive producer Steven Spielberg also will appear on the DVD.

"They are doing something huge, and certainly we are here to help," says Jim Wilson of Sony BMG Home Entertainment.

The DVD will have remastered full-screen and widescreen editions of the film, which includes Orson Welles' final performance. Extras include commentary, deleted footage and interviews. And there's a viewing mode in which Transformer pop culture references pop up throughout. Plus: Hasbro has an action figure line due in November.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

I hang out with a lot of 20-somethings and I'm always surprised by how much prominence Transformers has on their cultural landscape. Buuuut, I don't think that's going to make this movie into the event the brass is hoping for. Maybe that's just my bias. Those toys are crap.

"Executive producer Steven Spielberg also will appear on the DVD." Well, woo hoo. That's what I always want to go with my sci-fi cartoonage, Steven Spielberg in a baseball cap saying "yeah, so in this part..."

Octopunk said...

I like the approach of this teaser, but the actual Transformer sighting is disappointing. Another "move the camera all over the place" maneuver masquerading as cinematography. Big honking surprise.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...