Monday, July 31, 2006

My diagnosis, "bad parenting"


From Darkhorizons, 'Child actress Dakota Fanning is set to shock fans in new movie "Hounddog", because she has shot child rape scenes and appears semi-naked reports The IMDb.

The controversial film written and directed by Deborah Kampmeier is a dark and violent story set in American's rural south - and the 12-year-old's mother and agent are convinced her gritty performance is Oscar-worthy.

Agent Joy Osbrink tells the New York Daily News that "It's not just the rape scene - the whole story is challenging Dakota as an actress. And I've never been so proud of her in my life. I've seen the dailies, and in every scene she gets better and better."'

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Hmm. I'm not so sure I agree with the "bad parenting" tag. Sure, child actors are weird little critters who don't have real childhoods, but I think Dakota Fanning has proven she's got the skills to pull off the sophistication this kind of story will need. Rise above the lurid nature of it and show us a good story.

And at 12, she might even have the smarts to make that choice herself. Still weird, though.

JPX said...

Oh I totally think she could pull it off but at her age I don't believe she has the cognitive maturity to appreciate that pedophiles around the world will rejoice. Didn't Brooke Shields do this in Pretty Baby?

Octopunk said...

You may be right, but bear in mind she's performing in a rape scene -- that would seem to indicate a fair amount of savvy about the presence of child predators.

On one hand you don't want to shun a certain kind of story just because the wrong people will have the wrong kind of response to it, on the other hand that story needs, NEEDS to be done well enough to avoid becoming the worst of trash. That was my biggest problem with Basic Instinct: not that it edged into homophobic territory but that it was such an amateurish story it didn't earn the right to go there -- and therefore the edgy stuff is tacked-on sensationalism.

I couldn't think of a better choice of actress to make such a story good enough to earn its own subject matter.

I never saw Pretty Baby, but yeah, I think she was 12.

JPX said...

Couldn't you find a hotter picture of her?

Just kidding.

Octopunk said...

LOL. You bastard.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...