Friday, July 07, 2006

Stop-Motion Christmas Coming to Life


From Iwatchstuff, "As if severe asthma and parental alcoholism hadn't stolen enough of my Christmas joy, NBC is going to take the few enjoyable moments I had by remaking the classic Rankin/Bass 1974 stop-motion classic The Year Without a Santa Claus as a live-action special:

Ron Underwood (City Slickers) is directing the two-hour film, which will star John Goodman as Santa. Also cast are Ethan Suplee (NBC's My Name Is Earl), Chris Kattan, Eddie Griffin and Carol Kane. Larry Wilson and Tom Martin wrote the script.

The movie will tell the story of a disgruntled St. Nick who decides to take the year off from delivering presents and ultimately rediscovers the meaning of the holiday through the help of a young boy.


I don't know why they're possibly remaking this. The charm in these specials was almost entirely their animation. It's not as if the plots were so impressive that they warrant a re-envisioning of the material. It's like remaking Joan Rivers as a natural beauty. Sure, I can see how it might look nicer, but really, it's only the weird fake parts making her tolerable."

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I stopped reading as soon as I read "John Goodman as Santa".

Octopunk said...

I once heard they took this out of holiday rotation because of Heat Miser and Snow Miser -- they were worried it would give kids the wrong idea about meteorology.

That's just what I heard.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...