Monday, December 04, 2006

Wolf Creek

(2005) ****

Wolf Creek is loosely based on a true incident, which occurred in 1999. A trio of twenty-something pals purchase a run-down used car and embark on a road trip to the Wolf Creek National Park in the Australian Outback. Along the way they flirt, drink, smoke, annoy locals, and generally have a good time.

After hiking to a large meteor crater in the scenic park they return to their car to find that it will not start. With night falling in the vast territory they have no choice but to sleep in their vehicle. Late at night friendly hillbilly-type local, Mick, awakes them with the promise of aid. At first Mick comes across like that uncle everyone has who can spin endless amusing yarns (mine is uncle Rusty). However Mick’s true intentions quickly surface and the trio find themselves fighting for their lives.

I remember seeing the commercials for Wolf Creek and not thinking much about them, boy was I wrong! Like Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes (remake), and Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning, Wolf Creek is another nail biter. Though there’s not much more to the plot than I mention above, Wolf Creek will suck you in. Rather than predictable as these films tend to be, who dies and who lives turns out to be a complete surprise. Yes this is a short review but I still have a bunch to write, want to fight about it?

Here is a detailed account of the true story.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

"Yes this is a short review but I still have a bunch to write, want to fight about it?"

I think I preferred the Halloween VI JPX who was all apologetic. But yeah, I'll fight about it. Meet me in my backyard at 5:30 tonight (I bet he won't show up).

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Did he show? I bet he'll say "I don't remember agreeing to fight, that doesn't sound like something I'd say..."

Octopunk said...

He totally didn't show! I knew it. All mouth. Even if he did, he'd probably have tried to hoodwink me by talking about my feelings. Old shrink trick.

Did anyone check out the true events that inspired Wolf Creek? The surviving woman was a suspect herself, and the article mentions that her "unusually good looks" may have worked against her. Um...there isn't really a nice way to say this: did they actually get a look at that woman?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...