Friday, February 18, 2011

Hump Day poetry slam results


So this week's pickings were slim but muscular, kind of like a hipster who secretly works out. I laughed out loud at 50p's and Catfreeek's respective limericks and nodded wisely at JSP's haiku trilogy; I have empathy and appreciation for Octopunk's struggle to tell his Williamsburg hipster tale; and like JPX, I really don't know what a hipster is, either; but I have to give the win to guest poet H-Town, for the amazing
Fixies, PBR
Only douches own a car
Can I get a ride?
To me, that nailed the hipster essence while simultaneously cracking me up every time I read it. So if H-Town is willing, she can guest-host next week's competition; if she is bashful or busy, let me know and I will name a runner-up to shoulder the responsibility next Wednesday.

5 comments:

DKC said...

Congrats to H-Town!

I feel really terrible that I was one of the voices clamoring to keep HHD - and I haven't done a single one since we started up again.

I could make excuses, but I know JSP would call me out on it, so I'm not going to bother. I will say that I will try to recommit and get my ass in the game!

JPX said...

Congrats H-Town! Welcome to the club. We expect greatness out of you! Remember, you don't have to do haikus. fell free to change the game any way you like.

I was one of the dissenting voices on keeping HHD because I detected an overall lack of enthusiasm. I was outvoted. I'm just sayin' =)

AC said...

dcd, i hear ya- i really love hhd but it's been hard to participate lately.

jpx, it does seem like there's less enthusiasm lately (as measured by # of poems) but the contest still adds zest to my wednesdays that is otherwise lacking, whether i personally get to write much or not.

H-Town said...

I am thrilled to have won!!! (I didn't even know I entered, thanks McGee!). SF provides rich ground for hipster critiques.

I would be pleased to host next week's poetry slam. Am looking through archives and it's going to be hard to live up to the excellence of subjects like "Things Our Parents Say" and "She's blinding me with SCIENCE" but imma try.

Catfreeek said...

Yay! Congrats H-Town! I somehow missed this post.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...