Thursday, July 21, 2011

Octopunk: IMAX good, 3D meh


I just saw Green Lantern in 3D the other night and I decided me and 3D are through. That is, if the movie is also showing in 2D and neither version is on an IMAX screen, I'm saving my money. When I was looking for showtimes for GL I unconsciously thought "might as well see it in 3D for the fullest experience," but two or three times during the movie I said to myself "Oh yeah, this is in 3D. I forgot. Yeah, I guess that thing is up here and that other thing is back there." But then I'd forget about it again.

What I question is the whole idea that movies need to progress as far as possible into reality. I'm just not sure that assumption is correct. A couple of times when I've seen depictions of holographic TVs (in comic books, or articles about THE FUTURE), it's been people watching miniature characters on a tabletop, like the chess board on the Millenium Falcon. And I always thought that was lame; I want backgrounds, setting, stuff, displayed on a screen. Until you've got a working holodeck for me, I don't see the need to go in there.

But IMAX is different. I freaking love IMAX, when it's actually on an IMAX screen that towers over me (somehow they're allowed to show IMAX movies on normal screens and I don't get that at all). It's got to be the right movie to take advantage of it; there have been times when, like my 3D experience, I just kind of forget that it's there. But for Speed Racer, Sucker Punch, Dark Knight, Tron Legacy, the big stuff is the right stuff.

5 comments:

JPX said...

IMAX AVATAR in 3D was awesome and watching anything on IMAX is awesome (I saw Attack of the Clones and Batman Begins on IMAX,) but I'm with you on paying for the 3D experience on any screen. I've stated this many times but I kept my AVATAR glasses and I just sneak into 3D movies with them, which is how I watched TRON (unnecessary in 3D, BTW). IMAX is only $6 here on Tuesdays, which is a definite bargain if you don't mind dealing with all the Providence Place Mall hassels.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I passed on Thor because it was only playing in 3D. Aside from Avatar, I've been mostly disappointed in the other 3D movies I've seen.

And by the way I would kill to play Millenium Falcon hologram chess.

50PageMcGee said...

Man, you really haven't seen Terms of Endearment till you've had the complete IMAX experience. But I hear what you're saying: it blows in 3d. Total waste of time and money.

JPX said...

AVATAR and the 3D stuff at Disney World are the only good 3D films I've ever seen.

I would still kill to see JAWS 3D in 3D though.

AC said...

lmao mcgee!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...