Monday, July 25, 2011

WTF?


As I entered a Target over the weekend I was assaulted with the above scene. I recognize that I no longer have to go “Back to School”, but kids in New England only ended their school year a few weeks ago thanks to a generous amount of “snow days” that had to be made up. I know I’ve said this in previous posts but it TOTALLY bums me out when I see “Back to School” displays in department stores. I didn’t particularly enjoy school and decades later I still get that sinking feeling whenever I see this kind of signage. When September rolls around, I want to put the barrel of a shotgun in my mouth. I feel sorry for kids, but more importantly I feel sorry for me. Believe it or not the Back to School display supplanted the summer display of lawn furniture and bug spray. Sigh. At least I’m comforted with the knowledge that this display will be taken down soon enough to make room for Halloween…

7 comments:

Jordan said...

I know exsctlynwhat you mean!

I try to get some vicarious pleasure out of the fact that I don't have to go "back to school" (like you) but I just hate the reminder of the approaching Autumn. It always seems like Summer starts "ending" about halfway through (after the random hot day on the beach when somebody announces that "It's the first day of summer!"

JPX said...

Exactly! It seems like they move up the "Back to School" display earlier and earlier each year. Let the kids enjoy summer for a little while before bombarding them with reality. I remember summer seeming endless when I was a kid.

DKC said...

It not only gives me the same feelings you both describe - it also bums me out because I know I've got to go and buy some of that stuff for the kids!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

It's always summer in California!

JPX said...

True but I bet you still get disappointed when you see those "Back to School" signs.

Catfreeek said...

DCD that much is true but it also means a little quiet time for
Mom & Dad. My friends and I used to meet for a celebratory breakfast after seeing the kids off on the first day back.

DKC said...

That is true, Cat. And since Mags is starting Kindergarten this year - I really will have some quiet time! Weird.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...