Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wen hasst du am meisten? Wie weit würdest du gehen? Heute is der tag zum handeln.


Barney Miller's and my supernatural teen thriller 7 Souls was just published in Germany, so I awoke to a big thick bubbly envelope containing two German hardcover first editions of Seven Souls (They kept the English title).

Wow! I have never in my life been in a situation like this: I'm flipping through a book I can't read (because it's in German) but those are my sentences and I can see the English product names and place names ("Das taxi raste über den Central Park South") poking through. Somebody sure went to a lot of fucking trouble and drank a lot of German coffee while wrestling with our sentences.

Obviously stuff gets translated all the time (and Google will do it in three seconds). I'm just blatantly grooving on the excellence of getting something like this in the mail! Zowie wowie.

3 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I don't think my 2 years of German in high school would help me get through an entire novel. I was able to understand your heading though. I learned most of my German from Frank Zappa (don't ask). Still, I'm glad I got to read it in English and having a book published in 2 languages is way cool. Congrats!

Octopunk said...

Yeah, congrats! To learn German, you should go to Germany to do a series of readings.

I took my required four semesters of German in college and hated it because I was a college student and didn't feel like working that hard.

JPX said...

This is very cool and a significant achievement. My father has written a few books on sexual dysfunction and it was always a hoot when he would get copies in foreign languages - the best was when he received a Chinese translation.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...