Thursday, January 05, 2012

Watch ‘The Thing’ Remade in Claymation, With Penguins



From slashfilm, Maybe you’re familiar with Pingu. It’s a Swiss claymation animated series about penguins living at the South Pole, with the title also being the name of one of the young penguins.

Now Lee Hardcastle, the same guy who made the ‘T is for Toilet’ short film that won the competition to be the 26th entry in the horror anthology The ABCs of Death, has made a new claymation Pingu short. But this one is a remake of John Carpenter‘s The Thing. Even if you’re not familiar with the original character, this is a must-see.

5 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Haha!

AC said...

nice.

Octopunk said...

I brought two things away from this.

One, John Carpenter's The Thing is fucking scary. I made the mistake of letting this roll while Zack was watching and he said "too scary!" after the blood scene.

Two, that climax sure doesn't live up to the rest of the story.

Jordan said...

That was great!

Despite what I said in my anti- anti-CGI rant below, the one situation in which I don't like CGI is in stop-motion animation. Every time they blasted the flamethrowers I was like "YES!" watching all that stop-motion flame. Just like the joy of Wallace pouring hot water into a tea kettle or lighting a match in "A Grand Day Out." When they do CGI post in stop motion it comes close to ruining it (even Nick Park).

Also, I don't really like The Thing because the plot totally dead-ends.

Crystal Math said...

1. I totally need to see The Thing
2. I like that all problems were solved by burning or blowing things up
3. Penguins are ADORABLE!

. . . and I'm going to take this moment to say that stop-motion will always win my heart over CGI. It's a personal preference.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...