Tuesday, February 07, 2012

And speaking of Mad Men...


I can't really say enough good things about this show, but for now I'm limiting myself to one because I really do want to get some comments done. And here it is.

We've just started watching the third season, and the cinematography has taken a rich, evocative turn.




These screencaps are extreme examples, but there's a visual sense of this world deepening, as if a new set of warm cello tones were added to the soundtrack (the one in my head).

The phrases "hitting its stride" and "coming into its own" have occured to me, but those seem like words for shows with awkward beginnings, and Mad Men has owned its confident swagger pretty much from day one. It's more like the show winked at you for sticking around this long and pulled the thirty-year-old brandy out from under the bar.

I recommend clicking this one for bigness, to better see the thin line of dark blue that reveals Don Draper in the surrounding darkness. Good stuff.

Mad Men chatter welcome, but watch for spoilers. I'm only halfway through.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I just left you a long voicemail about all this. No spoilers, but all I'll say is two words: Season 4.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...