Monday, February 13, 2012

Box Office



From ew, Holy moly, America. For the first time since Christmas weekend in 2008, four movies debuted to more than $20 million each this weekend: The Vow, Safe House, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, and Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 3D.

The first three of those four films far exceeded industry expectations, helping to make this the biggest non-holiday February weekend ever. The box office was also up around 30 percent compared to the same weekend last year.

Read full article here

4 comments:

JPX said...

I caught Phantom Menace on Saturday and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The audience was clearly made up of people who have had kids in the 13 years since Menace was originally released and my impression is that they wanted to take their kids to see a Star Wars movie on the big screen. Has Menace improved with time? Not really, but it also wasn’t as terrible as I had made it in my mind. The Pod Race is a standout sequence, especially in 3D and the Darth Maul lightsaber duel is terrific, albeit way too brief. I am very happy that I watched this in the theater. There’s nothing like Star Wars on the big screen. The CGI Yoda looks much better than the awful puppet they previously used.

Jordan said...

I've enjoyed the hell out of my Blu-ray double-trilogy set. When you know what's coming, Phantom Menace is completely different. That idyllic green-and-purple universe is going to turn very dark very fast.

Jordan said...

Also, Anakin being a jerk who's basically exploited by everyone else (and the Jedi being arrogant, complacent wise-asses who deserve to go down) are themes that develop nicely through the prequel trilogy.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cool, glad you caught that JPX. I figured the pod race would lend itself well to 3D. I'm gonna pass on Phantom Menace (I just watched it a few months ago and it's far to soon for another visit) but I'll probably check out Clones & Sith when they're released.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...