Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Don't Stop There -- Keep Going!: This Rock Rolled Across The Moon Some 50-100 Million Years Ago



From geekology, You know what makes me sad? Nobody gives a shit about space anymore. When I was growing up space was exciting, now you can't have a decent space conversation with someone at the bar without them excusing themselves to go to the restroom THEN BLATANTLY NOT GOING AND STARTING TO TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE . That's how fights happen. This is a picture of a 30-foot rock that rolled across the lunar surface some 50-100 million years ago. You can still see it's tracks. The ones my truck left in the mud when I went to burn down my ex's house? I covered those. It's believed the rock got rolling from the impact of a meteor crash. Ugh, look at you -- you don't even care. Listen, here's what I want you to do: I want you to look at the moon tonight. And while you're staring at it, I want you to say OUT LOUD: "holy shit, we've put people up there". Then keep repeating it until you realize just how amazing that really is. Space: let's bring it back. Then start a cult.

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Great post, I agree with the article too. It's so sad that people just don't care, there is no excitement anymore. People suck.

DKC said...

That is totally cool! I am actually listening to a book on CD right now - Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void.
It's fascinating and funny and I would totally recommend it!!

Octopunk said...

Hmm, that sounds cool. I think the problem with space is that, despite the absence of aliens or laser battles, space is still heaped with nightmarish, lethal danger.

Anonymous said...

This is the way crewed space travel ends; not with a bang, but a whimper. Still, when most people honestly believe "Star Wars" (parts 1-infinity) is science fiction, what do you expect?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...