Friday, February 10, 2012

To 3D Or Not To 3D: Is The Phantom Menace In 3D Worth It?



From cinemablend, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is back in theaters, but you might have noticed the scene at your local multiplex isn't quite the same as it was in 1999. The 3D conversion of the notorious prequel doesn't seem to have people ready to reconsider the movie that brought the world Jar Jar Binks and a plot about taxing trade routes, but that might not be entirely fair-- George Lucas has put a huge amount of effort into this 3D conversion, and it's hard for anyone to deny that their 8-year-old selves would have loved nothing more than to be plunged more fully into the world of Star Wars.

So does the 3D version of The Phantom Menace actually merit a return trip to the theaters, or maybe even rescue the movie from history's dustbin? I saw it at midnight last night to find out, and even through my exhausted haze took enough notes to put together the latest installment in our To 3D or not to 3D series, in which we use our scoring system to help you figure out if this ticket is worth it. Read below for what I found out.

Go here for the verdict.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

I am so there. I may even go this afternoon.

JPX said...

Please give us a review if you do! I'll probably be seeing it tomorrow.

Octopunk said...

I'll probably see it because I'm curious, but I keep thinking about "I think you're here to free the slaves" and "now this is pod racing!" and feel queasy inside.

Has he changed anything? He keeps mucking with the OT but this probably rates as perfect.

Jordan said...

He's replaced puppet Yoda with CGI Yoda, but that's on (my!) Blu-ray too. It really improves the movie.

By the way, Octo, the intersection of 1) Alan Moore's two hour interview; 2) Your constant objections to Uncle Ben and 3) Re-watching Breakfast at Tiffany's has me thinking very hard about plotting and storytelling. I maintain that Uncle Ben has to bite it (it can't be anybody else); but I respect (sort of) your opposition to this position. I could go on but I won't...hopefully we'll be debating this more.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...