Thursday, July 26, 2007

Beowulf Trailer Makes Me Feel Old

From iwatchstuff, As you may have already inferred from the title of this post or your clairvoyant turtle, the trailer for Beowulf is now online.

I know Zemeckis totally has a boner for this live actiony animation stuff, probably because he's getting too lazy to properly film shit in his old age, but much as I try to keep an open mind, I hate it. It's not real enough to make me think I'm looking at real people, and it's not stylized enough to look cool as animation. Why the hell do I want to watch something drawn by people who aren't good enough to draw it freehand? "Hey, look what I drew on this tracing paper!" "Good job, that looks almost exactly like Garfield, and you managed not to eat the crayon this time."

It just looks like one of those stupid computer games where your little character walks around town and you start killing everybody because they're not real and watching them die is the only thing that's interesting. But then you can't make it to the next level because the object of the game was to make their crops grow and instead you brutally slaughtered them. I think Mao had the same problem.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

Oh man! The Comic-Con post right below this said "nude Angelina Jolie," not "nude CG Angelina Jolie who looks just like Angelina Jolie."

I'm not sure how I feel about how this looks. I was complimenting the human characters in Ratatouille to my friend at Pixar the other day, and he said caraciturizing people was the only way to make them look good in CG.

"It just looks like one of those stupid computer games where your little character walks around town and you start killing everybody because they're not real and watching them die is the only thing that's interesting. But then you can't make it to the next level because the object of the game was to make their crops grow and instead you brutally slaughtered them."

Ha. I love that. I can't do slow-paced community-building video games. Just not my thing.

Jordan said...

That whole post is hilarious.

I'm a little confused. If you've actually got Angelina Jolie, and you're paying her, and she's saying the lines, and you're filming her, and she's acting as you film her, and the character she's playing looks exactly like her (and not like Gollum or King Kong or whatever), then, um, WHY NOT JUST SHOW THE FILM OF HER? I mean, what's to be gained by very carefully creating a fake version of what you've already got? Am I missing something?

Octopunk said...

If you are, then I am too.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...