Monday, August 27, 2007

360 Degree Light Field Display or Something I imagine Jordan invented


From geekology, Shown at SIGGRAPH 2007, the Interactive 360 Degree Light Field Display won the Best Emerging Technology Award. Designed by USC's Institute for Creative Technologies, the system is capable of producing interactive 3D graphics to multiple viewers in 360 degrees.

The display consists of a high-speed video projector, a spinning mirror covered by a holographic diffuser, and FPGA circuitry to decode specially rendered DVI video signals. The display uses a standard programmable graphics card to render over 5,000 images per second of interactive 3D graphics, projecting 360-degree views with 1.25 degree separation up to 20 updates per second.

Now I'm not totally sure what all of that means, because I'm an astronaut and not familiar with light field displays, but I think what they're saying is that the next time R2-D2 projects Princess Leia in 3D it's going to be in my bedroom and she's going to be naked.

Go here to see video, http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/360_degree_light_field_display.php

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

I have no idea what the dealio is here. I watched the video and everything. Granted, I'm half watching this and half watching Julie try to navigate the Goron mines.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...