Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I can't stop playing this

Yesterday evening, I was feeling nostalgic for Statetris. I did a google search for it and found a site called I-am-bored.com. It's essentially a list of links to various amusing articles, videos and simple web-based games.

Here's where I discovered Budapest Defenders, and blew my entire Tuesday night.

You're assigned the task of protecting the Hungarian revolutionary headquarters from an onslaught of Russian tanks, secret police vehicles and armored cars. For every vehicle destroyed, the CIA sends you more money. With the CIA cash, you can hire guys with firebombs, pistols, machine guns and sniper rifles, or you can use it to upgrade your units. You can also use the money on roadblocks, to channel traffic to where you want it, or to set up choke points where you can concentrate your firepower.

Not having anything pressing to do with myself, I spent a depressing amount of time playing this last night. When I woke up today, my first thought was, "I've got to play more of that fuckin game!"
There are two levels, Novice and Expert, both of which take about 11 minutes to get through.
Whatever you do, do not click this link. I'm serious. Stay away from it.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

Well, I tried to do it without reading the instructions, and I totally died in about 45 seconds. Just like somebody's grandma who picks up the game controller thinking it's the remote.

50PageMcGee said...

the trick is to start out with machine gunners, then use roadblocks to guide traffic into tight spots and then bomb the bejeezus out of the little critters with firebombers.

the scores in the hi scores list are bafflingly high.

after experimenting with different strategies, i managed a couple hundred thousand. i couldn't figure out how some dude managed like 20 million points.

then i did some research and learned that there's a bug in the game by which you can override the re-load time on the weapons by pausing it repeatedly.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I didn't read the directions either and suffered the same fate. It's just as well, if I met with any kind of success I would have likely called in sick and devoted a day to it...

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...