Friday, March 21, 2008

Come on down to Octo and Julie's Appliance Shack!

So the little lady decided it would be a good idea get ourselves one of those dishwashers that hook up to your sink -- they call them "portable" but really you just roll it a couple of feet so you can reach the faucet. Clearly this was an awesome idea and we went for it.

The model on the left arrived first, and if you look closely you'll notice it's listing slightly to the left. I'd opened it up while alone one day, saw the way it was leaning, and immediately thought I'd unscrewed the wrong screws trying to free the machine from its wooden palette. I actually had, but while tipping it back to fix that I noticed the real problem: IT ONLY HAD THREE WHEELS.

Well, that was the only chance that Best Buy got. Julie called them to arrange a pickup and moseyed on over to the Sears website, and a few days later the model on the right appeared. I never even got a chance to count the wheels because I opened it up to find it was the wrong color. Son of a gun.

Jules got Sears on the phone and they were easier to deal with than the first batch of doofi. All of this went down last week and over the last couple of days both mistakes have been collected and a white, four-wheeled contraption now sits in our kitchen, ready for action. I have to say, that was a lot of apartment volume to give over to what essentially amounted to very expensive, questionably effective paperweights.

I felt regretful that Zack wasn't here yet to enjoy the mad box action going on in the house, but I suppose we'll have to buy some other giant cubical thing someday.

15 comments:

JPX said...

You should keep them both to complement the floor!

They kind of look like to robots talking to eachother. Hmmm, [imagined dialogue],

Black diswasher: "So I guess it's official, they're going with the new design."

White dishwasher: "Yep, I heard that the new astromech droids are rounded, makes sense I guess..."

Julie said...

I thought they looked like robots, too. That's funny.

It wasn't just that Best Buy didn't get another shot. I lost faith in GE, who made that first dishwasher. Forget product design, engineering, and all the other important stuff. They couldn't get this thing out the factory door with all the wheels. I don't trust people to make an appliance if they can't count to four.

Then Best Buy really turned out to be lame with the whole customer service thing. It's been an endless hassle dealing with them, and I still haven't gotten a full refund. Like Octo said, they don't make their profits by being any good, just by being huge and everywhere, so we think we have to go to them. I'm over it. They weren't even as cheap as good ol' Sears.

I sound old. But I don't care. Because having a dishwasher is like the best thing that can happen to a person. Washing dishes is awful. I love the human brain. Thank you humans, for inventing dishwashers.

JPX said...

Yeah GE is really a crappy brand these days. Kenmore has proven to be the better product.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yeah, washing dishes by hand is for suckers. My problem is that I rinse them too much before putting them in the dishwasher and end up wasting water.

My favorite human invention of the past year is the vibrating razor. A smoother shave cannot be found!

JPX said...

Black dishwasher: "What did one dishwasher say to the other?"

White Dishwasher: "Hmmm, I don't don't know."

Black dishwasher: "You're all washed up!"

Johnny Sweatpants said...

*groan*

JPX said...

White dishwasher: "You look tired"

Black dishwasher: "I am, I've been cleaning all day!"

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Black Dishwasher: Where is that other dishwasher going?

White Dishwasher: He was tired of being a third wheel.

JPX said...

Double *groan*

JPX said...

Black dishwasher: "I've been trying to talk to you for the last 5 minutes! Do you have soap in your ears or something?"

White dishwasher: "Yes"

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"Dishes" getting ridiculous!

miko564 said...

I only say this because I was laughing as I was saying "Doh!" and reading. I work for...wait for it...GE.
I'm in a totally different division of the behemoth, but still funny.

miko564 said...

Black Dishwaser: Why are they sending you back?

White Dishwasher: Missing a wheel, you?

Black Dishwasher: Nothing wrong, I'm just black!

White Dishwasher: Damn that's cold.

DKC said...

OMG, I am cracking up over here!

Julie said...

Ha ha ha!!!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...